This delicious recipe is guaranteed to be a favourite. It’s packed full of chunky leek and vegetables, caters for most allergies and is bursting with flavour!
When dealing with multiple allergies, often there are a number of major food groups removed from the diet. It can be hard to make sure that diets remain well balanced and nutrient dense, especially when weaning little ones.
This tasty recipe is simple to make, and is the true depiction of comfort food. It’s packed full of nutrients and is guaranteed to satisfy even the hungriest of tummies.
Perfect left as a soup served with crusty bread, it can also be served with dumplings, or thickened slightly and served with mashed potatoes, or even over a jacket potato.
Or if weaning, simply add a little extra stock and then blitz until smooth!
You will need:
- 2 large leeks – washed and sliced
- 2 carrots – peeled and diced
- 1 swede – peeled and diced
- 1 large sweet potato – peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks – washed and diced (optional)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pint (600ml) vegetable stock (if shop bought be mindful of salt content)
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes (our nomato sauce also works well)
- 1 tin cannelloni beans - drained (optional)
- Handful of chopped parsley
Add the leeks, carrots, swede, sweet potato and celery, along with the olive oil in a large saucepan and gently fry over a medium heat until the vegetables start to soften. Remember to stir regularly so that the vegetables don’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
Pour the stock over the vegetables, along with the tomatoes (or nomato sauce) and stir well.
Cover with a lid and leave to simmer for around 15-20 minutes.
Remove from the heat, stir in the chopped parsley and leave to cool slightly before serving.
Sandi in Oakland, CA USA